Joshimath:A stern warning from Nature
¶ What is happening in Joshimath?
Developed Cracks due to *land subsidence causing panic and protests among the local population.
Joshimath has been declared a landslide subsidence zone and over 60 families have been evacuated to temporary relief centres.
∆ Where is Joshimath Located?
It is located on Rishikesh-Badrinath National Highway(NH-7) in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand.
√ Why Joshimath is so famous?
• Overnight Rest stop for people Visiting Badrinath, Auli, Valley of flowers, and Hemkund Sahib.
• Joshimath is also of great strategic importance to the Indian Armed forces and is home to one of the Army’s most important cantonments.
Reasons for crisis:
Joshimath lies on a deposit of sand and stone, it's not on the main rock. It lies on an ancient landslide, so restrictions must be placed on heavy construction work.
Π Construction Activities
Increased Construction, hydroelectric projects, and the widening of the NH have made the slopes highly unstable in the last couple of decades.
What can be done to save Joshimath?
• Complete shutdown of development and hydroelectric projects in the region.
• Drainage planning is one of the biggest factors that need to be studied and redeveloped.
• Replantation in the region to retain soil capacity.
Hope You like the blog🙏.
*Land subsidence- Sudden sinking of the Earth's Surface.